Re: OT: Rita Gormley passed on
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: OT: Rita Gormley passed on
  • From: Doris Hessee <dhessee@embarqmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 16:43:42 -0500 (EST)

I just want you to know how much I appreciated both you and Rita when I attended any function that you were also attending.  I only regret that I never told Rita  how much her friendliness and energy meant to me while she was alive.  I only assumed that she could go on forever. I am taking this opportunity to tell you that I appreciated both of you.
Doris Hessee
ShowMe Iris Society

Sent: Monday, November 22, 2010 12:40

  PM
Subject: Re: [iris-photos] OT: Rita

  Gormley passed on

From Tom Gormley:

All,

Thank you so much for the outpouring of sympathy and warm thoughts for

  myself and Rita. She loved all of you and spent the better part of every day

  (naps not included) involved with you in some aspect of irisdom.

Rita passed away peacefully with both of her daughters holding her hands at

  5:20 am on November 17th. Her brother, son, sister-in-law and I were there

  with her also. When she was released to hospice on Wednesday it was an

  incredible relief to her family as the people there were the most caring and

  compassionate we have ever had the good fortune to meet. Both she and her kids

  were treated with grace and dignity. It humanized everybody involved, allowing

  us to remember that this wasn't just a sick and dying body plugged into tubes

  and wires but our mother, sister, friend and wife. Our Rita, who over the

  course of her life has unreservedly thrown herself and all the resources

  available to her at every problem, issue or project that came her way. Whether

  it was caring for her many foster children, volunteering her time and talents

  at a shelter for abused and battered women or more recently with all things

  iris, she gave it all she had.

Because of the distance the family has decided that there wont be a formal

  memorial service here in Florida, however come spring I will be doing a road

  trip to scatter her ashes in the places she's directed. As I do this I'll be

  stopping at various places with a retrospective of her life and times. You

  will be advised beforehand of when and where these will be.

Many of you have asked where you can send donations as a memorial to her. I

  can think of none better than the hospice that comforted her and her family at

  the end of her life. They have many needs so if you choose to, please send

  your memorium to me at PO Box 177, Deleon Springs, FL 32130. When a reasonable

  period of time has gone by, I will gift the proceeds to them in her name.

Knowing as I do that she had many irons in the fire at any given time, I

  have to ask all of you to step up to the bar and help me in making

  arrangements to transfer this workload to the many of you she was working

  with. Whether it was in her capacity as Editor of the Medianite or SJI Review,

  RVP Counselor, Treasurer of HIPS or MemSec of MIS. There are a good many

  things that need to be attended to and I for one don't want to be on the

  receiving end of one of her cat reminders. So please begin making arrangements

  to have these taken care of.

Again, I thank all of you for your friendship and thoughtfullness during

  this time and ask that you remember her as the vital, caring and committed

  woman she was by committing random acts of kindness for your own part. Give

  someone who may not deserve it a kind word or a hug, just because. I know I

  have a lifetime of them that I can't give to her now.

Tom Gormley

Tom Gormley

AIS Membership Secretary

PO Box 177