Re: HYB: seed germination
  • Subject: Re: HYB: seed germination
  • From: "d7432da" <donald@txol.net>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 01:20:39 -0000

Similar to what I do, I think. Both fresh pods and dried seeds get planted in clay pots and then get stored in the fridge until fall conditions. Since I'm usually in the habit of planting fresh seeds and here most pods finish splitting in early July, those pots are generally in the fridge for 3 months more or less. I usually start taking them out in Sept., but often some stay as long as mid Nov. This year I didn't plant fresh seeds (I only had one pod to plant!), so I was late dragging some out of the freezer and won't be taking them out 'til mid-late Nov. As Linda notes, dried seeds perform much the same as the fresh ones. The resulting germination covers a lot of months 'til the spring warmup.

I think folks with less temperamental weather or more consistant cool months wouldn't benefit from going to the trouble. For those of us with less congenial and infinitely more fractious weather it seems to have really boosted the germination of seeds planted.