Re: HYB: seed germination
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: seed germination
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 05:20:25 -0500

Adam, it will be warm enough to start hardening them off outdoors some
time in March. So, for the one pot that's up and growing already, that
will be 4 or 5 months?

If there is a lot of early germination, and I have energy to re-pot the
early ones, & temps are above the teens, I move them out earlier under a
frame of wire fence half-rounds covered with several layers of Reemay
type floating row cover material.

Germination will continue on thru April in groups about a month apart,
following cold cycles - either from natural weather cycles, or moving
pots outdoors for a month after germination stops, then bringing back
indoors. So some will only be on the sunporch for a month or so.

The sunporch is unheated. So temperature varies - right now, outdoor
lows 30 to 40oF (remarkably steady for here), sunporch night temps are
50 to 60. I try to open the door to the house when sunporch gets above
65. I occasionally forget, and without the AC on, it has reached 80
this time of year - not good! It hasn't gotten below freeezing out
there, but we haven't had any of those below zero F winters since I
started doing this. When it's in the low teens outdoors, it gets down
to 40 on the porch.

If you are regulating the temperature, I'd suggest 60oF as a temp to aim at?

Hope that helps!

> Okay, how long do you grow your seedlings under lights? What temps do you keep them at?

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7