Re: Help with mystery nut - part 1
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Help with mystery nut - part 1
  • From: "Pat" <Pat.Creighton@shaw.ca>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 16:15:51 -0800

Hi Jan;  We love our cats, too, but as of this past week, we now have only a new batch -- all girls!  Just haven't had time to update blogs. )-;  The new cats are all on the Facebook page.

Your tree is a SWEET chestnut according to the leaf shape, that isn't so stiff and strictly lined, and according to the flower color, so should be safe.  If you want to look the trees up that have been mentioned, I will list them below.  Even the horse chestnut is only bad for children if they don't wash their hands after handling:

Aesculus pavia - buckeye

Aesculus hippocastanum - horse chestnut

Castanea sativa - sweet chestnut

HTH.....Pat and the menagerie