Re: HYB: seedling pigment?
  • Subject: Re: HYB: seedling pigment?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 09:03:35 -0500

Ok, there's definitely anthocyanin. Used the whole petal, boiled it in
water, and that did it.

I guess there just wasn't enough in the piece of petal I used before to
show in the alcohol. Or else it's just a lot more soluble in hot water
than hot alcohol. Or the petal has more layers & the anthocyanin is
deeper inside the petal than others I've soaked.

Plus there might be more anthocyanin on the shoulder veins, enough to
make the whole petal soak show up better?

The petal I used for the second soak was starting to fold and it looked
like there was more anthocyanin pigment starting to show. If this
weren't a maiden bloom for this one, I'd be more willing to shred more
fresh petals :-(, but only did the first one because I accidentally
broke off a piece of petal dragging the cart in the kitchen for the
umpteenth time.

Boiling it in water sure busted loose the yellow pigments in this second
petal when I washed it off and put it in alcohol. Hardly any of the
yellow came out in the hot water (none noticeable at all - pure blue),
but the follow up alcohol soak was very saturated deep deep yellow.
Barely got much from the first one & suspect a lot of this came from the
beards. No lycopene.

To do the soaks, I use little cheese spread glasses with upside down,
empty, plastic, ready-to-eat, storebought jello containers for lids.
They work well for containing alcohol fumes, but not sure I want to be
mixing messy lamp oil in these in my kitchen. Will see if I can come up
with another kind of container, something with a cap of some sort.

Wonder if a plastic soda bottle would work? Or would the kerosene eat
thru the plastic?

I don't have any empty test tubes handy ;-)

Linda Mann