RE: HYB: seedling pigment?
  • Subject: RE: HYB: seedling pigment?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 09:50:15 -0500

Ok, I re-did the soaks, cut off the petal below the anthocyanin showing
in the shoulders, left out the beard.

Boiling water extract was blue. Not a lot, but some.

Removed and rinsed petal w hot water, soaked in hot 91% isopropyl
alcohol. Extract was very yellow.

Added lamp oil, sloshed it around and the oil layer is <very> yellow,
alcohol/water layer is greenish - looks like the alcohol removed a bit
of residual anthocyanin, plus some of yellow pigment.

Now if I could just remember which yellow(s?) is/are oil soluble, which
alcohol/water, I could interpret these results. ;-)

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7b
chilly out! I think the time for re-setting seedlings may be over till