Re: Re: rebloomers (classification)

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: rebloomers (classification)
  • From: storylade@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 22:25:35 EDT

In a message dated 10/14/01 6:49:55 PM Central Daylight Time, alhbee@aol.com

<<  If you hybridized EOE and Immortality what did the offspring
 look like >>

Al, I'm sorry, I've misled. I have children of each.  Not the two together.
In the past, I crossed IMMORTALITY with plicatas and wasn't pleased with the
result, but haven't tried the two.  One would almost guarantee a Border
Bearded from the cross since each tends to be short.  But I'll bet you get

I've crossed EOE with things like JESSIE'S SONG & HOT STREAK and in each case
I got reblooming seedlings but they have bloomed rather short.  I'm hoping
new soil will improve the height.  Have crossed each to a rather tall
9412-1Re (It has a stalk now) and hope for taller things.  9412-1Re is (Laced
Cotton x Autumn Encore) X Renown. (Also received an EC in a "spring" show! )
I revisited the HOT STREAK cross using HS as pod parent, again hoping for
taller rebloom.  I should see some of these bloom in 2002.

The particular IMMORTALITY grandchild I spoke of today is 9504-5Re.  It is
from (Immortality x Pledge Allegiance) X (Immortality x Beau Zam).  Of the
five reselects from this cross, three seedlings have rebloomed.  9504-5Re is
the most prolific with half a dozen stalks blooming now.  This is in search
of a reblooming blue bearded white.  I've lots of rebloom on multi branched
stalks and a faint blue tinge in the buds.  But no blue beards.  I crossed
this one back to PRETTY WOMAN (Good Morning America x Beau Zam) by Maryott
this past spring.

IMMORTALITY often refuses to produce pollen.  When I look back through my
records of takes, most are with IMM as the pod parent.  I used it a lot!
Wish I'd kept the rebloomers by Champagne Elegance.  They were worth another

I have I DO for the first time in several years. (Sutton's) I decided to be
adventurous.  It's said to improve form.

Congratulations on the fall crosses!

Betty in BG KY. zone 7

Monitoring Service trial