  • Subject: [iris-photos] SEED VIABILITY
  • From: "Francesca R. Thoolen" irisgirl@attbi.com
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 07:10:26 -0700

I was rereading some passages of Wilma Vallette's book Iris Culture and
Hybridizing for Everyone published in 1961. As you know it is a compilation
of material gathered at that time from various iris robins. On page 169,
there is mention made about [aril] seed germination: "... it may take 20
years to come up. Some claim that if planted in early fall and kept wet all
winter, then allowed to go dry, to bake in the hot sun thoroughly all
summer, seed will often begin to come up soon after fall rains start; the
baking seems to be expecially important."  I just thought I would throw that
in for those who now have received aril seeds to plant out and those who
have had seeds planted and do not seem to be coming up. 20 years is a long
time. So those of you who have 10 year old seeds do not give up on them yet.

Sell a Home with Ease!