ADMIN: Virus

  • Subject: [iris-photos] ADMIN: Virus
  • From: John I Jones jijones@usjoneses.com
  • Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 08:55:49 -0700

Hi All,

I don't want a discussion about viruses, trojans and the like, but I
thought I should alert everyone to the existence of a new virus. You
should all be armed with a virus scanner, and should be keeping the
descriptions updated. I will look with great displeasure on any messages
that arrive on the list infected with this new virus.

> By Cathryn Conroy, Netscape News Editor
>   It's called "Bugbear," and it does something no other virus has ever done:
>   First, it disables firewall
>   and anti-virus protections and then it prepares a port on the infected PC that can receive
>   instructions from remote users, reports CNN. Unlike other well-known and destructive viruses,
>   such as Melissa, Michelangelo, and Iloveyou, this one--which has already been rated a "severe
>   threat" by Symantec, a virus-protection software company--does not necessarily destroy files.
>   Instead, the perpetrators behind Bugbear want access to your PC so they can steal credit card
>   and other financial information you may have stored there. They can
>   also swipe stored passwords
>   and any other sensitive data you may have on your PC.
>   If you use your PC for banking, you are the kind of user Bugbear is targeting.
>   Bugbear, also known as Tanatos, began in Malaysia a week ago, but has rapidly made its way
>   around the world, hitting Europe, Canada, and the United States on Thursday. And it's bad.
>   CNN reports that the number of new cases of Bugbear showing up daily is rivaling--and maybe
>   even exceeding--the Klez virus that hit millions of computers earlier this year. The
>   Windows-based virus spreads by e-mail, disguising infected messages as a "reply" or "forward"
>   to an existing message. It moves easily through networked office
>   computers. Here's the best clue
>   to spot it since it will have varied subject headings:
>   The attachment is 50,668 bytes. In addition,
>   make sure that Internet Explorer's I-FRAME patch is installed, which prevents the bug from
>   automatically downloading itself from an infected message.
>   Get more information on Bugbear from Netscape's Computing Channel.

List owner iris-talk and iris-photos

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at: