  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] SEED VIABILITY
  • From: Elmsterj@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 15:36:14 EDT

       As I noted in the Aril Robin recently, a year ago I planted 8-year-old
seed that were arilbred crosses, seed I had not planted because of health
problems.  The germination was good.  I planted them in plastic cherry lugs
in the fall, put a mesh screen over the top to keep cats out, watered them,
and let them sit outside exposed to the weather.  Those that were viable all
sprouted in the spring.  This year, I planted 7-year-old seed in July, same
style of planting and, as of yesterday, there are 5 crosses germinating.
These again are all arilbred crosses.  As for pure species seed, they can
take MUCH longer to germinate, as you noted.  Those that don't germinate
after the first year I use forced germination on, since I don't know how to
embryoculture and also don't have the room. (Hey, I'm 65 and I can't wait 20

Plan to Sell a Home?