Re: SEED VIABILITY

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] SEED VIABILITY
  • From: Elmsterj@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 19:27:00 EDT

Francesca,

       I'm sure you saw the article I wrote on forced germination for the
1981 Aril Society yearbook---pp.34-37, with photos.  I did my own take on
what John and Kay Tearington wrote about in the 1979 yearbook and Sam Norris
in the 1975 yearbook.  For me, it worked really well.  (However, I would NOT
use vermiculite now because of the health hazards.  I would use Perlite now,
I think. Anyway, the method worked for me, and my regelia hybrid introduction
Stonehenge was germinated this way.  And by the way, those little plants that
grew from my attempts to come up with arilmedians are galloping more and more
every day.  And, yes, to answer your question from a previous email, I will
mail photos of them EVEN IF the blossoms are "dogs."  Some have Chubby Cheeks
in their background; others have Barbarella, which has I. pumila in its
background.  A few others have my arilmed My Funny Valentine, while others
yet have Eugene Hunt's Gene's Little Secret.  I had the original of that
one---but with the slight controversy over whether the one circulating now is
truly GLS, perhaps we need to re-dub the latest one Secret Little Genes (bad
pun---sorry).  I think my little seedlings are growing so rapidly  with so
many side shoots (a first year plant now has 8) because of the SDB and the I.
pumila backgrounds.  The I. pumilas love it here, as do I. reichenbachii, I.
barthii, I. astrachanica, I. illyrica, I. aphylla, and several other European
species.  I plan to use some of the smaller species and work them into an
arilmed line this next spring.

Elm

Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/MVfIAA/2gGylB/TM