Re: Help Anyone seen this Iris?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Help Anyone seen this Iris?
  • From: Pedigo Family pedigo43@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 18:21:15 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks looks like you nailed it!

 David Ferguson wrote:

Hi,  I'm new to the group, with no way to post photos now, but am enjoying looking at everyone else's.  I'm located se. of Belen in se. New Mexico, and am enjoying a little bit of rebloom on intermediate irises now.  Mostly (I think) they are 'Eleanor Roosevelt'.

As for your Iris, turns out to be fairly easy.  This one is a real survivor, and even lasts for years here in abandoned lots, where it may get only 5 or 6 inches of rain a year!  It is the species Iris pallida.  As for the particular cultivar, that is a bit more difficult.  Plants labeled variously as 'Dalmatica', 'Odoratissima', and several other names are pretty nearly identical to the one in your photo, and I can't tell which clone it is.  But, I'm not sure I can even tell the living plants apart!  I understand that this species is one of those used in the perfume industry in southern Europe.

Dave Ferguson