Re: Re: Rot advancement through a rhizome

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: Rot advancement through a rhizome
  • From: dferguson@cabq.gov
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:01:33 -0600

Hate to admit it, but it reminds me of some of my plants lately.  Never
thought to take a photo of them.

My problem is minor (dry climates can be a good thing), usually only on new
plants, and tends to start from the base of the main fan.  It happens most
often to those tubers that have been sitting in a bargain bin at the
department store for too long, that I buy anyway, and that get planted in
November or December.  This year the rains shifted the soil in some of my
new beds, and caused a number new starts to be buried too deeply in my
alkaline clay soil.  I didn't notice till it was too late for some.  The
ones that were washed out are fine though.

Not sure if I have the same rot as in the photo.  It usually tan in color
and turns the rhizome into what looks almost like a powder (until you touch
it, then it glops into stinking tan slime).   If I catch it in time, a
cleaning out of the dead flesh, a soak in bleach solution and exposure to
dry air usually stops the rot dead in its tracks (great for big tubers, but
I usually loose the smaller ones).

Dave in New Mexico

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now