[PHOTO] MDB: ALPINE LAKE | Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:09:42" />

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] MDB: ALPINE LAKE
  • From: laurief laurief@paulbunyan.net
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 02 08:17:40 -0500

Last year I posted pics of ALPINE LAKE the way it bloomed in my garden
(which I thought was absolutely GORGEOUS!), but was told didn't represent
the way the flower *should* look at all. Both standards and falls were
streaked and blotched with dark bluish purple markings, apparently in
response to its early bloom in our extremely cold climate. This spring
the flowers bloomed looking much the same until the very last, late bloom
that opened looking the way I assume it's supposed to look in milder
climates.  I thought it only fair to post this pic of a *hopefully*
representative bloom - beautiful no matter how it looks in my garden.  :-)

ALPINE LAKE (A. & D. Willott, 1981) MDB, 6", ML. S. white, slightly
tinged blue; F. light blue (RHS 104D); pale blue beard

USDA zone 3b, AHS zone 4 - northern MN
clay soil

Plan to Sell a Home?