Re: PHOTOS: photo IDs (was Bold Vision)

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] PHOTOS: photo IDs (was Bold Vision)
  • From: Mickey Corley mcorley@compuserve.com
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 06:03:45 -0400

Thanks Margie and all the others that commented on this subject,

You have a couple of years experience on using a digital camera.  I only
got mine last Christmas and am still learning how to use the thing.  It has
so many settings I can chose I get confused.  I'm using a Sony MVC-FD100
with a 3x Zoom.

I had discovered a larger Image size/resolution took better pictures but
only went as high as 1028.  This next season I'll use the 1280x960 which is
as large a resolution as I can use.  Last season, I got pretty good with
the closeups, but my pictures of clumbs didn't please me at all.

Thanks especially about the comment that digital zooming deteriates the
quality.  I hadn't gotten familiar with cropping a picture after it was
taken so tried to zoom in closer to get the exact image I wanted.

 Every thing that is said about taking a good picture is appreciated as
well as the different ways to ID iris.

Photography is another one of my interests and I've progressed from an old
box Brownie through Instamatic, and SLRs and now to digital.  About the
time I get real comfortable with one something else comes up that is
better.  I'm still learning.

I'm like Bill,  I love my iris and can ID most of them, in real life, by
sight, but when it comes to labeling a pictures it becomes a whole
different ball game.

Bethany, OK - Center of Oklahoma
Zone 6/7

Message text written by INTERNET:iris-photos@yahoogroups.com - Margie V.
>Thank you for your kind words Mickey.  I'm really glad you enjoy the
photos so much.

I use a digital camera. It's almost 3 years old now. It's a Sony DSC-S70
digital and is equipped with a precision 6x zoom. (Optical zoom - - is
unknown to me).  It also has a 3.3 Mega Pixels CCD.  (Note that: digital
zooming deteriorates the picture quality.) So.......

For me - - I find the best photos are taken when I use a higher Image
size/resolution ( like 1280x960 or even higher).  It does take up more
space on the memory stick and the size is quite large, but it's worth the
clarity. Later, on the computer I can cut away the excess, without cutting
away the size or reducing the quality of the photo. If I do reduce the size
of the photo it's still better quality than beginning with a lower
resolution/Image size - like 640x480.

(Photo quality IS compromised a little though when I compress it for
displaying the photo on Iris-Photos.)

Using the Sharpness Level option in conjunction with the higher resolution
- - makes for great computer photos, reproduced photos on photo paper, as
well as poster size print-outs. Investing in a larger memory stick was
definitely worth the investment.

The Carl Zeiss MTF lens does a top notch job reproducing the subject
contrast.  The camera also has a built in microphone to record the names of
the iris (or whatever) as I take the photo. (that comes in handy)  Rarely
do I use the focus and AE options, but when I do - - that can make a
difference in the photo as well.

The program I use to help with cropping etc. is Paint Shop Pro 7.

Concerning rebloomers: We do have reblooming iris out
here..................... that actually rebloom.  :-)  But,  I personally
don't have too many.

Margie V.<

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.