[PHOTO] When a weed isn't | Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:02:24" />

[PHOTO] When a weed isn't

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] When a weed isn't
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:00:23 -0500

This native plant was dug out of the bar ditch several years ago.  The
common name is - surprise! - blue aster.  In the fall it has proved to be a
spectacular garden plant.  I've considered planting it directly among the
irises since the natural foliage is pretty thin and grows at a very uniform
height.  I'm always afraid that I'm going to move something in that is too
invasive, but this one spreads very gradually.  Normally it isn't bothered
by grasshoppers, but the plague last year proved that when their numbers are
bad enough they will.  It blooms late, so I've seen it freeze damaged once.
Normally, though, it is covered by literally thousands of lilac-blue blooms
with the yellow center.  It is also growing in place that is very shallow
soil over a limestone bed where I can't manage to keep anything else
growing.  Some Dutch irises and Spanish irises will bloom on the right side
next spring, but those growing from rhizomes haven't managed the location.
A great plant for me here.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 8, USA