Re: iris sales/ The Big Dig

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] iris sales/ The Big Dig
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:22:52 EDT

In a message dated 10/24/2003 7:31:14 PM Central Daylight Time, wildbill@techie.com writes:

I'm new to this group.  I've several references to sales, and the big dig.  I'd like some info on them.  I have lot's of rebloomers and SA's, as well as intermediates.  I get most of my iris from Sutton's and trading with friends. I'm in SW Mo zone 6.   Always interested in trading and adding to my collection.  Any info appreciated.  I'll try and post some photo's soon. Thanks..Will Warner

Will, I am the perpetrator of the Big Dig. I have an iris friend who is a member of the Old South Iris Society (OSIS) of which I am also a member. She is an iris collector with a fine collection. She feels overwhelmed by the size of her iris garden that she must keep up and has decided to down size by eliminating one complete bed. The bed originally contained 125 varieties of generally recent introductions that met her criterion for beauty. The bed became overgrown from neglect over this last year. Some died. Some increased poorly.

With her pushing 80 and myself (and some other OSIS members) being younger and only a tiniest of bits past our prime, I commenced upon the Big Dig scheme to salvage those irises. Here I must confess to some self interest though. I know her intent is to use the funds generated by the Big Dig to buy some new intros to plant next to her back door. Too, I know those irises she purchases will soon out grow that spot. I know the excess will wind up at an OSIS sale, or be otherwise shared. Ultimately I will be a beneficiary. And, for so little work!

At least that was the thinkin', with me figuring about a day to dig the surviving clumps, another half day to divide and label them and so on. Certainly all those other OSIS members would certainly want to help and get paid in irises.  I should have done more thinking, let someone else do the diggin', dividin' and labelin' and bought one of the collections!

The original 85 variety collections I offered from the Big Dig have already been sold. Tomorrow I will be assembling collections consisting of one each of the remaining varieties. I will contact you directly with a list of the irises still available tomorrow evening.

Smiles and the long story from the used to be wild but now tired and  lazy,
Bill Burleson

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here