[PHOTO] Re: Seedling pic and alien weed experiences | Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:25:30" />

[PHOTO] Re: Seedling pic and alien weed experiences

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] Seedling pic and alien weed experiences
  • From: "Will Warner" wildbill@techie.com
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:25:06 -0600

I randomly find this "weed" during the summer months, some years and not others.  When growing
up, I was always intrigued by what I called a parasite, since it doesn't have roots.  I agree with
Betty, pull it all out, and make sure you get all off it.  I've always heard that it was spread as birds.
I assume they ingest it, thininking it's some kind of worm, and then it gets spread.  I'm not sure
how true this is, but it makes since.  I have actually never had this get into my iris.  I usually find in
the them field or in the veg. garden.  I wouldn't and don't use chemicals, just pull it out, and burn
it, or throw it in the road.
I just recently started hybridizing.  I'm attaching a pic of one of my first seedlings.  It resembles
some older varieties, but has nice green veining on the falls. parentage is unknown, let me know
what you think of the viening, and of other varieties that have it.  Thanks.Will