Re: Alien Weed & native blue aster

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Alien Weed & native blue aster
  • From: Sterling Okase sterling_o@yahoo.com
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:52:59 -0800 (PST)

Well, I went out there today with my clippers and
snipped off all the stems and leaves that the dodder
had wrapped itself around. Surprisingly, after the
operation, most of the leaves and plant was still
there. It was pretty easy to remove the dodder but I
think there is probably seeds in the ground that will
sprout later. If it does, I may have to remove the
variegated aquilegia and start new ones from seeds.
Thank you everyone for the great information on this
weed, it's definitely the strangest thing I have ever
seen. I don't think I would have ever identified it
without this group.

the other Sterling
Seattle, WA. USA
zone 8

--- Mickey Corley <mcorley@compuserve.com> wrote:
> Remember the book said "portions of the plant
> affected - I'm sentimental
> about my plants also - it's almost like losing a
> child when I  have to
> dispose of one.  I'm not familiar with  variegated
> aquilegia but I would
> attempt to take out just the plant portion which has
> dodder growing on it.
> Mickey
> Bethany, OK - Center of Oklahoma, USA
> Zone 6/7
> Message text written by
> INTERNET:iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
> >Thanks Mickey,
> I haven't yet tackled trying to remove the vine yet.
> will probably do it sometime this week. It seems a
> shame to destroy the plant. Maybe I will try to clip
> off the affected leaves and see if I suffer a repeat
> occurance. I don't know why I am being so
> sentimental
> about keeping this variegated aquilegia, I have a
> ziploc baggie full of seeds from this plant. It
> would
> be very easy to restart a new plant.
> the other Sterling
> Seattle, WA. USA