Re: Re: HYB: Yellow pigments (was older parents)

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: Yellow pigments (was older parents)
  • From: "Margie Valenzuela" IrisLady@comcast.net
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:25:28 -0700

I've had a couple of surprises where BOTH parents with older forms, have given me seedlings with a modern form in the first generation!  It was so unexpected!  Granted there are much more older-formed "dogs" I get from these crosses, but the one or two seedlings that have seemed to jump generations make it all worth it.
Genetics are so involved.......................that I believe we are just nipping at the tip of the iceberg. (Including the heredity of the mystified yellows).
What I know/or believe - is that the yellow pigment is part of the carotene group.....of carotene pigments..... that are capable of manifesting itself in either of these three colors: yellow, orange, and pink. Yellow is dominate to orange, and orange is dominate to pink. I believe that Ecstatic Echo has pink in the petal layer/or layers. Depending on how the pigment genes fall, and since yellow is a dominate pigment even to purple or blue (if it is there) then it can/and does manifest itself as a yellow iris in the seedling patch.
The recessive traits are what REALLY fascinates me though, whether they be in the historics or the modern day iris. Why are they recessive in the first place?  Besides the recessive patterns or colors, are there recessive layers in the petals of the iris?  Is it like playing 3 (or more)dimensional chess?
Margie V.
Oro Valley, AZ.
Zone 8/9