Re: TB: Tea Leaves and insects

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] TB: Tea Leaves and insects
  • From: Bill Chaney <Bill@blackarabs.com>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 09:17:55 -0700

The insects in your photos are a type of Ambush Bug from the family Phymatidae, Order Heimptera. These are True Bugs and they they are predatory.  The moth it is feeding on is an adult cutworm, the larva of which might feed on iris, but is not a borer.

Here is a photo of a ambush bug eating a yellow jacket.
ambush bug

Here is a link to more info.
http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il.us/4th/kkhp/1insects/ambush.html

willwarner@alltel.net wrote:
Tea leaves has been reblooming really good here.  The stalk is much
bigger this fall, I counted 11buds, not sure if all will develop fully
though, a couple look to be drying up.  In spring it was a tiny short stalk
with only a couple buds.  Is this common with rebloomers? I've read
other descriptions of rebloomers mentioning an intro having more buds
in the fall.
 Latest style
is planted right next to it, and is really similar, both have rebloomed
together with spring and fall bloom they start blooming within a day of
each other.
 I noticed beetles wreaking havoc.  I started getting them off
all the flowers and noticed a really odd insect.  I thought it was a tiny
mantis at first, that's why the pics are titled minimantis. His color and
markings looked just like Tea Leaves and it's haft markings, his eyes
were orange, that didn't show well in the pics.   I went back that night
and found it had got a moth.  On closer inspection, I noticed he had a
proboscus, and was using it on the moth. Pretty "wild" I thought.  That
makes him not a mantis but closer to heteroptera. So, he's more like a
mini assasin bug. I've never seen anything like him, and haven't found
anything real close on the internet, yet.   Does anyone recognize if this Is
type of borer moth?  Hope I didn't go too OT with this.  I reduced these
images to keep the size low.  I love my Macro function, this little guy is
tiny.
Will Warner
Sw Mo zone 6