HYB: Lycopene, carotenes and anthocyanins in combination

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] HYB: Lycopene, carotenes and anthocyanins in combination
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:57:43 -0400

At Linda Mann's suggestion, I'm posting the following photos, even though I believe I posted them all before, some time ago.  This time the purpose is to highlight the discussion we have been having on getting "red" out of iris pigments, considering how orange-red Lycopene itself is.  The illustration I have used with Linda I repeat here--Lycopene in the raw is the color of what you wash off your kettles and pasta bowls when you have a tomato sauce--that orange-red scum that floats on the dishwater, even if you don't use a heavy detergent.

First, the parents:  The cross is R 15, HAPPENSTANCE x POWER WOMAN

Happenstance (Keppel 2000)
Pink on the peach side of very light red

Power Woman (may be introduced 2006)
Royal to plum purple, but lighter, deep violet blue beard
Yellow pigments are present, particularly in the heart of the flower and on the shoulders of the fall

From the cross:

R 15-68:  Happenstance X Power Woman
The predominant pigment is the anthocyanin of Power Woman, reduced in dosage by about half.
The carotinoid of both parents is expressed as a very smoothly distributed pale cream or ivory, giving sutstantially greater warmth to the anthocyanin, presumably Delphinin.  The plant is probably Tttt, giving further warmth to the ivory or cream and to the final result.

This is about as close to "pink" an anthocyanin can appear in TB tetraploids, I believe, although further generations will show more.

The "Joyce Terry" patterned white and light yellow is a sibling, # R 15-65.

A following post will illustrate a further question from our discussions on Iris-talk.

Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links