HYB: tangerine factor

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] HYB: tangerine factor
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 14:26:03 -0400

Neil suggested I post a photo of the extracted tomato lycopene pigment,
so here it is.  Apologies for the wretched quality of the photo.  I'll
try to do another one later.

The left container is Fantastic Orange Cleaner, the right is liquid Dial
soap, the jar in the middle is unfiltered mushed up tomato.  The top
layer is oil, bottom layer is alcohol/water mixture.  Residue of red
tomato pulp has settled to the bottom.  If the photo weren't so blurred,
you might be able to see that the lycopene in the oil layer of the
tomato jar is the same red-orange of the Fantastic Orange Cleaner,
rather than the more yellow or apricot orange of the Liquid Dial Soap.
But they are all pretty close to the same color.

For some reason, I was thinking that pure 'red' lycopene pigment would
look red.  It didn't sink in that tttt is called <tangerine>, not
<tomato> or <apple> factor, for good reason (i.e., it's tangerine
colored, not apple or tomato red colored).

I also did an extraction of dark red Impatiens (no photo), which had no
oil soluble pigment, but turned the water/alcohol layer a beautiful
clear pink.

Will post some questions over in the discussion group.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links

JPEG image