Re: HYB: tangerine factor

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: tangerine factor
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@netscape.net>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 03:57:46 -0000

Congratulations on your pigment extraction.
Unfortunatly, this is lycopene plus another pigment. I think I have
its name somewhere and will post it when I find it.
I did a lot of extractons tonight just to clarify what is gong on with
tomato red. I took some pure tomato paste amd did six sequential
alcohol extractions. After each of these I filtered the paste and
squeased out the liquid. After the 6th extraction the alcohol exract
was almost colourless. This extract was a tangerine red. The tomato
paste remains were iris pink at this time. Then I did an oil
extraction and got lycopene. I can be fairly sure this was lycopene as
it is soluble in oil but not in alchohol. I had  a bloom of Pink
Attraction so did an extraction on it. First with alcohol. This
extraction was fairly light in colour but still very interesting. I
then did an oil extraction. This extraction was exactly the same shade
as as the tomato oil extraction after 6 alcohol extractions. Both were
an orangish-yellow and lighter then the alcohol  tomato extraction
which was more orange. A straight oil extraction of the tomato paste
got me a almost redish pigment which is a combination of the alcohol
extracted pigment and lycopene.

I will get some photos tomorrow  using natural light.

Chuck Chapman