Re: HYB: lycopene and tomato

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: lycopene and tomato
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:14:15 -0400

Thanks for the very nice photos, Chuck.  I forgot your suggestion to use
tomato paste.  Easier to get concentrated pigment!

I have another kitchen mess to clean up after trying a series of
extractions on Jim Ennenga's reblooming variegata colored seedling.  I
was curious to see what pigments were there after the question about the
possibility of red or pink pigments from I. variegata.

No lycopene looking pigment, but really interesting to see how the
duration of extraction affects the amount and type of pigment visible.

The first hot alcohol soak removed blue/purple, with some oil soluble
opaque colorless something or other.  Second one removed a bit more
blue/purple (very pale, somewhat pink looking), with no oil soluble
pigment.  Third one removed no visible blue/purple alcohol soluble
pigment, but had some yellow.  Fourth one had yellow in both oil and
alcohol, as did the fifth and sixth.  The seventh (last) had only oil
soluble yellow.

Such fun...I can hardly wait till rainy days next spring when I can't
collect pollen or make crosses.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links