  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re:HYB:sharing:1812
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 00:53:10 -0400

Betty, the several photos from the 1812 cross have been fun to see, especially to see a series from a single cross is not often published.  We've not often had this kind of sequence on Iris-photos.  IMHO this is something we could do more often--it's an education, and besides, it's fun.
Something that has struck me on several of the seedlings is that the patterns around the beard are typical of outcrosses from plicatas with selfs that have plicata potential.  I suppose the ones that display the pattern would be the three-dose level sort, although that's an opinion so flimsy or thin the wind would blow it away rather easily.
I wonder if there is rebloom potential in SPICE LORD?  After seeing Robin Shadlow's photos of some Keppel seedlings involving SL the obvious thought crossed my mind that this family of seedlings suggests it might be quite interesting to cross SPICE LORD or one of its parents with some of the fuller-bodied seedlings from the 1812 cross.
SPICE LORD may not be productive of the colors you are after *plus* rebloom, but the Keppel seedlings suggest it is a quality parent.
The reason I'm pursuing this thought is that the Gibson plicatas are likely present more than just a little in the ancestry.  I haven't even begun to check that out, but it's a fair guess.  The Gibson plicatas, several of which did rebloom, are present in most yellow-ground plicata lines.  In fact, they occur in pedigrees so frequently they're hard to avoid.
I'm just muddling and musing about the questions you raised about getting to your objective with this cross.
It will be fun to watch this line as it evolves under your hand.  I hope you will show us some of the next generation as they come into bloom!
Neil Mogensen  z 7  western NC mountains.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links