Romantic Gentleman, World Premier

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Romantic Gentleman, World Premier
  • From: "Colleen Modra" <colleen@impressiveirises.com.au>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:30:42 +0930

We're having one of the best bloom season's ever.
Romantic Gentleman is the stand-out winner along with World Premier.
I've had Romantic Genleman for almost two years, and this is the first time it's flowered, spent last year growing into a huge clump. Has about 4-5 stems. One was bound to be the champion spike at last week Iris Show, until I slightly damaged the top bloom getting it into the car. Rats!!!!!!!!
Thick straight stem with 4 huge blooms out. (fertile both ways) Yes it does look as good as it does in the photo.
World Premier just sits in the garden looking like a show winner on every stem (didn't have one out for the show).
The season has been early but good. We had a few early hot days which bought everything on, but now it's cooled downed, even had a few light frosts, which is holding everything. So far no heat waves, hail or heavy frosts.
It's also been an incredible season for hybridising. Things that don't normally produce pollen, like Rippling River, are doing so and I've got sets of difficult ones like Rosalie Figge.
Hope it's an equally good year next year as the Aust Convention is here in Adelaide.
Colleen Modra
Adelaide Hills AUST
zone 8/9

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor