Re: Lycopene and Tomato

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Lycopene and Tomato
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@netscape.net>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:27:33 -0000

I have done some internet research and have come up with some
interesting information. There has been a lot of development and
research on carrots and tomatoes.
Tomatoes have about 5-10% of their cartenoid content as beta-carotene
and some varieties have up to 45%. 5-10% is leutin and xanthophylls.
There are many different colours of xanthophylls and red peppers have
a red xanthophyll.  A yellow-orange xanthopyll is beta-crytoxanthin
which is not present in tomatoes but is in carrots, red peppers and
oranges and tangerines.

Carrots have some lycopene adding to their colour. I have gotten an
orange water based pigment from carrots but don't know what it is.

xanthophylls are cartenoids which are formed from beta-carotene and
perhaps also from other precursers and are oil soluble.

There is some beta-carotene present in green tomatoes, hidden by green
chlorophyll as in leaves before they turn yellow (just lose
chlorophylls and show colours always present). In tomatoes the
chlorophylls are converted to cartenoids.

The yellow in tomato flowers are yellow xanthophylls.

Probably more then anyone else wanted to know.

Chuck Chapman

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "irischap" <irischapman@n...> wrote:
> It is in some papers somewhere on my desk. Will find it when I get a
> chance to clean up this years paperwork. Might be faster for me to
> find it in one of the books I borrowed from the university. I will get
> back to the library when its too cold to get into the garden.
> Chuck Chapman
> --- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@c...>
> > Thank you, Chuck.  Both yours and Linda's results really do show how
> orange Lycopene itself turns out to be.
> >
> > The left-most extract of "all oil soluble pigments" of tomato makes
> me wonder what the non-Lycopene might be.  Do you have any idea?
> >
> > Neil Mogensen

Yahoo! Groups Links