Re: TB: Joan's Pleasure

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] TB: Joan's Pleasure
  • From: Laurie Flynn amnemachin@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:47:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Linda -
Yes, I believe it's pretty common for decent-performing irises to do poorly here in Maine - our winters are long, and fall and spring are wet and cold.  I'm in southern Maine, inland, which is zone 4, but some winters seem even colder than that.  Many vigorous growers do just fine for me, but mostly we just don't have the growing season that folks even a few hundred miles south do.  We hope for the best each year, and enjoy them while they're here.  :)
I think it would be interesting to see how a rhizome does in your area.  Shall I send you one of mine? (if I can find it under the leaves!)
Thanks for your kind reply!
- Laurie

Bruce & Linda <Silversity@comcast.net> wrote:
I really love it also Laurie!  Why so few blooms you think?  It that common in your area?  I don't know much about the weather habits in Maine!  I'd be glad to test a rhizome in this area for you if you like!  It has wonderful subtlety to it's colors!  Thanks for sharing the pic!
Linda Hunt
Lascassas, TN
Zone 7

And here's mine, from 2003.  I really love the colors in this flower, extremely subtle and lovely blend of mauve and brown, although it's not a vigorous grower or bloomer for me (one bloom in 5 years).

- Laurie Flynn
Southern Maine

Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net> wrote:
Here's my picture, Betty.  And there's another very different looking
one from Robin in the archives.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
American Iris Society web site <http://www.irises.org <http://www.irises.org/> >
online R&I <http://www.irisregister.com <http://www.irisregister.com/> >