Re: HYB: Pink genetics

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: Pink genetics
  • From: "irischap" irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:34:13 -0000

I find that the beard has a good story to tell. The beards on all of
these are tangerine red, thus all are tttt plants. The white  and the
lavender  with red beards are  tangerine plants (tttt) with the
repression of the cartenoid pigments (alpha-carotene, beta carotene,
lycopene etc) by four sets of the gene that repress carotene. It still
expresses in the beard even if not on petals. Ususlly crossing one of
these with a catenoid expressed plant will produce all cartenoid
plants  if none of this gene  or as few one half if the cartenoid
plant has three of the repress cartenoid gene. a white x white or x
lavender (or blue) with red beard will have all seedlings with red
beard but no carenoid pigment in the flowers petals
For a dark top with tangerine beard use Fogbound or one of its children.

Iheritence of anthocyanin is independent of what ever occurs with

Chuck Chapman

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "FRANCELLE EDWARDS"
<fjmjedwards@w...> wrote:
> I have been reading with great interest and a tiny bit of understanding
> the genetic explanations of the relationships of white, pink and
> anthocyanin pigmentation.  My main hybridization goal is the development
> of unique, vigorous pink and pink blend TB irises.  I have been
> surprised at how often I get white irises from my crosses which are
> nicer formed and more vigorous growers than their pink siblings.
> I am posting three unrelated seedlings that I hope to cross with each
> other to see what I get.  Each has SA genes, and might provide useful
> information for the SAGE project.  65-25 A is from Mesmerizer X Pink
> Champagne.  It is not SA, but it is a rebloomer.  When fresh, the
> standards are lavender.  Would this make it some kind of dark top since
> the anthocyanine is expressed there but not in the falls?
> 12-18 A is from Elegant Girl X Happenstance.  It has a very light pink
> tint and big red beards.  I believe the beards end in small fuzzy horns
> making it SA.  What might happen if I cross it with 65-25 A which has
> better form?
> 67-22 B is from Pond Lily X Twice Thrilling.  It is obviously SA, and
> has lavender in the standards and the horns which project from red
> beards.  Both parents have considerable anthocyanine in their blended
> pink.  I have absolutely no idea what might turn up if I can cross it
> with the other two.
> This sure becomes a lot of fun.
> I might understand all the T and t genes better if I can relate them to
> my own babies.
> Francelle Edwards,  Glendale, AZ

Yahoo! Groups Links