Re: TB: In The Stars a peek inside a rose-pink amoena

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: TB: In The Stars a peek inside a rose-pink amoena
  • From: "irischap" irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:42:08 -0000

Thanks for posting this picture. I collect all photos of this sort of
point variation as they contain good info on genetics. Usually they
represent a doubling of one gene or a replacement of one gene by
another as a replication mistake during growth. It's interesting that
the Umbrata pattern with a light overlay of anthocyanin now becomes a
heavy layer of anthocyanin without umbrata pattern. It would be very
interesting to know if anthocyanin is also on the bottom layer of the
flower petal. The light dusting where we have the Umbrata pattern
clearly shows that it is only on the top layer.

Could you check to see if you have any other photos would could
possibly show underside of this variation?

Chuck Chapman

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Shadlow" <rshadlow@w...> wrote:

> The discussion on Linda's blended seedling has been very helpful.
Thanks so much Chuck and Neil for all of your efforts.  The discussion
of division before gamete formation was especially useful, obviously
its time for me to re-read WOI again  : )

> Linda's discussion of the rose-pink reminded me of a photo I have
that is somewhat useful in seeing what is going on here.  `In The
Stars' was kind enough to display a large color break.