Re: Better picture of reblooming diploid seedling

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Better picture of reblooming diploid seedling
  • From: thomas silvers tesilvers@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 05:08:54 -0700 (PDT)

>Margie V. wrote:
>Very Nice, Tom.  It looks
>rather tall - how tall is it?

>Donald Eaves wrote:
>...I always enjoy seeing what
>you're doing and what you're
>planning to attempt... It
>appears the veining goes way
>down the falls.  A trait that
>I hope is going to come back
>in vogue for a time.

>Annette Milch wrote:
>Thanks for the picture. I
>like all reblooming irises.

Thanks very much, (Margie, Donald and Annette), for
the compliments.
I haven't measured it but I'd say that it's close to
knee-high for me; so that'd be around 24 inches. And
although it is quite veiny-falled, I can't really say
that's the reason I selected it out of its row. Maybe
it was, but I guess I just plain liked something about
it. And now that it's reblooming, I like it even more!

My plans [and forgive me if I've already expounded on
this before somewhere] are to focus primarily on [the
24 chromosome bearded] diploids. So, in addition to
using species like pallida, variegata, suaveolens and
whatever else I can find, I'm using (diploid) MTB's
and (diploid) historics.
One of my more straightforward goals is to work toward
a very consistent and reliable rebloom in a diploid.
But on a broader note, I've always thought that when
most of the iris world was turning toward the great
new tetraploids (and I agree, they are great); that
there was still a vastly underutilized diversity to be
found in the diploids.
I don't have any earth-shattering breakthroughs to
illustrate this idea [yet!]; but... I've really just
started scratching the surface; and already, I'm
amazed at how much diversity is showing up in even the
simplest of my species X species crosses.
So stay tuned for more -- and I sure do hope you guys
have already decided to join in and do some diploid
crosses of your own.

Thanks again, Tom

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional