Re: HYB: seedling/Wearing Rubies/Best Bet

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: seedling/Wearing Rubies/Best Bet
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@lock-net.com
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 07:04:05 -0400

Betty, the only time WEARING RUBIES bloomed, it was before I had learned
that these nearly dead plants can sometimes produce pretty strong
offspring, so no babies from it here.

Griff (or others), any other examples of weak (in your climate) parents
that produce really strong offspring that you know of?  One I haven't
tried but seems to do that is our old friend EDITH W.  Maybe SILVERADO
is another one?

I was sure BEST BET had died long ago, but was surprised by a stalk
amongst the weeds that turned out to have good pollen, enough for two
pods, a few years ago.  The seedlings are definitely strong growers,
although the foliage health is not the best.   Your RANKS OF BLUE
certainly grows well here.

<A couple of examples:  BEST BET and  ROMANTIC EVENING.

BEST BET is notoriously hard to keep alive.  I have lost it twice here,
and the current planting is on its last legs.  But, I have numerous hale
and hearty first-generation seedlings from it, and second-generation
progeny includes HAUNTING  and RANKS OF BLUE.  If Lincoln's ranks of
blue had increased with the vigor and strength of this cultivar, he
wouldn't have needed to institute the draft.>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: