{Disarmed} HYB:Wearing Rubies vs Machismo-Genetics

  • Subject: {Disarmed} [iris-photos]HYB:Wearing Rubies vs Machismo-Genetics
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:33:44 EDT

In a message dated 10/20/2006 9:50:23 A.M. Central Standard Time, jgcrump@cox.net writes:
<<while praising Wearing Rubies' "excellent bud count and show branching", as well as touting it as a "superb parent".  Tradeoffs, tradeoffs>>
To put it all in perspective (for me) here are the genetics:

WHO'S YOUR DADDY (Barry Blyth, R. 2000). Sdlg. E63-2. TB 36" (91 cm), EML.
"S. light lilac violet; F. plush purple black, 1/8" light lilac violet edge; beards burnt tangerine. B171-1: (Physique x Electrique) X unknown. Tempo Two 2000/01. "  (I usually avoid unknowns for breeding)

WEARING RUBIES (Barry Blyth, R. 2000). Sdlg. G74-3. TB 38" (97 cm), EML.
S. garnet rose; F. plush bright ruby; beards vivid saturn red; musky fragrance. E99-1: (B132-2: (Holiday Lover x Love Comes) x Bygone Era) X Who's Your Daddy. Tempo Two 2001/02.  (Rebloom qualities override my fear of the unknown.)   I now have a clump of Holiday Lover.

MACHISMO  (& Scottish Rebel) (Barry Blyth, R. 2003). Sdlg. J150-2. TB 36" (91 cm), ML.
"S. burgundy to ruby; F. plush burgundy to burgundy black, lighter 3/8" suffused edge; beards bright tango orange; ruffled, flared; slight sweet fragrance. G74-4, Wearing Rubies sib, X G50-1: (Island Gossip x Who's Your Daddy). Tempo Two 2003/04. "  (back to half unknown)

You will notice that the unknown quality comes in with WHO'S YOUR DADDY.  However, we do know it's a quarter ELECTRIQUE & a quarter PHYSIQUE.

Then in WEARING RUBIES:  The rebloom factor enters through (HOLIDAY LOVER X LOVE COMES)  and possibly some from WYD.  Don't remember just now.  Until I learn different, my guess is that the strongest potential for rebloom comes from WEARING RUBIES.

In MACHISMO & SCOTTISH REBEL the rebloom is (theoretically) watered down again.  Although, we know that rebloom is an elusive trait and can show up where least expected.

I did get a take with SCOTTIS REBEL  X 1709-8Re which contains both THEME MASTER & TARA'S CHOICE.  (along with SILVERADO & LATIN LADY)  (58 seed) Now, wouldn't it be nice if I got a throwback to LATIN LADY (and SR) with the rebloom of the others?  Day dreams??  It's what keeps me applying pollen!

This is my line of reasoning, for what it's worth!  Or not!

Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6 ---
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Reblooming Iris - Home Page
iris-photos archives