{Disarmed} Re: Old seed

  • Subject: {Disarmed} Re: [iris-photos] Old seed
  • From: margiempv@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 01:25:15 EDT

In a message dated 10/21/2006 11:28:01 AM US Mountain Standard Time, jvickic@comcast.net writes:
Has anyone tried planting old (5-6 yrs) iris seed and had them germinate?
Vicki,

I've had seeds germinate after 3 years sitting in an envelope.  When I planted 8 year old seeds that I had forgotten I had ............. non germinated. (they were in an envelope too)

However............. I read once that iris seeds will germinate up to 18 years in the wild.  So my guess is that the seeds need to be out in the fields to germinate for up to 18 years and not stored away in envelopes or the like.   I have a feeling you'll at least get some to germinate.  Good luck! :-)

~ Margie
__._,_.___ Web Bug from http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97476590/grpId=43451/grpspId=1707632694/msgId=34850/stime=1161581227

Iris Iris plants Purple iris
Iris bulb Photos of