Re: HYB: Better Picture of Diploid Number Two, and Question

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Better Picture of Diploid Number Two, and Question
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:38:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Loic,
Thank you for your interest and kind words. I'll
contact you off-list to figure out what we can get
across the ocean to you.
And you've assessed my goals fairly accurately -- I
couldn't care much less, if my irises are bigger or
thicker. Those kind of irises are pretty, but there
are plenty of very capable breeders already hammering
them out.
One of my top priorities right now is to breed for
abundant and dependable rebloom. I think I'll be able
to make the best progress by keeping within the
diploid gene pool for now -- even in spite of the
current lack of diploid rebloomers in commerce.

And you mention crosses of "CLOWN PANTS and another
I've done such a cross (fully expecting some
reblooming offspring)...the cross was KEIRITH x CLOWN
PANTS, and none of these seedlings have rebloomed. In
contrast, I would have never expected rebloomers from
the cross that produced those three recently posted
reblooming seedlings (Iris cengialtii X CLOWN PANTS).
I was just trying to "stir in" some more genes by
doing crosses with just about any diploids I had
blooming at that time.
And by the way, CLOWN PANTS is registered as a
rebloomer, but has a very different habit of rebloom
than those three reblooming cengialtii babies. CLOWN
PANTS tends to send up some extra flowerstalks several
weeks after the main flush is done. It has done this
for me, about half of the years that I've had it. It's
also done this for at least two other people in
different parts of the US. Those cengialtii babies
rebloom in the more typical fashion -- in the fall.
Maybe through backcrossings of these seedlings with
CLOWN PANTS, we could come up with "a repeat, cycle &
everblooming / continuous / non-daylight dependant
rebloomer" like you and Betty dream of.
Talk to you soon, Tom

loic tasquier wrote:
OOH Thomas!

Clown Pants is really a Must have !

Since it's so complicated to send rhizomes abroad,
could you send me some seeds of any cross you made
with Clown Pants and another rebloomer?
(or even with a non rebloomer), so i would have it's
genes here to play with?

I would love to broaden my crosses to diploids, and i
have the impression Clown pants could be the best
thing to happen to the world of Diploidy!

I really like your postings, so refreshing, different
from the perpetual quest for big, thick and large !

who, like Betty, could die (or kill...) for a repeat,
cycle & everblooming / continuous / non-daylight
dependant rebloomer!
zone 7 - Nederland
Email : tasquierloic@cs.com