Re: HYB MTB Persona's children

  • Subject: Re: HYB MTB Persona's children
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 03:20:56 -0000

Pretty children indeed.

Geting tet seedlings from tet X dip is very possible. There are always
a certain percentage of unreduced gamettes (pollen grains) from dip
pollen. In many of these crosses (dip x tet) in various species,
the tet as pod parent have bigger seeds then dip as pod paarent. This
is an example of gene silencing through menthylation, an epigenetic
effect. (Refference available if anyone wishes it)

Chuck Chapman

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, thomas silvers <tesilvers@...> wrote:

> Hello Loïc,
> Fascinating work! (And pretty flowers too!)
> I still would think that Astrachanica Kalmikij and Bangles are
diploids. Several months ago I had a discussion with Harald Mathes
about mixed ploidy crosses, and he mentioned that he had much more
success using the tetraploid as seed parent and diploid as pollen
parent. Until that conversation, I'd been trying all of my mixed
ploidy crosses the other way around (based on what I'd read about iris
history in "The World of Irises") -- and I haven't had much luck at
all. I didn't get a chance to more fully explore the possibilities,
since the season was coming to an end. But next season, I'll certainly
be trying at least a few of these kinds of crosses. By accident, I did
get a seed from Lowell Baumunk's INTROSPECTION (tetraploid TB) from
pollen of Iris purpureobractea -- I was test-crossing for ploidy of
Iris purpureobractea and have decided that it must be diploid (from
the multitude of seeds I got using it with other diploids). Now that I
have another
> strategy for combining tetraploid and diploid lines, I sure hope
that INTROSPECTION x purpureobractea seed grows.

> If I remember Haralds descriptions correctly... he said that he
usually got lots of seeds from diploid as seed parent (tetraploid
pollen), but all of them were small, shriveled and inviable... when
the tetraploid was used as seed parent (diploid pollen) he got only a
few seeds, but those few seeds were much better quality.

> I'll bet you can't guess what diploid pollen I'm going to be trying
next season ;0)

> Good luck and keep up the good work!
> Tom

> Loïc wrote:
>
> (Colette Thurillet X Persona) bloomed this spring and gave 2 pods,
with Impulsive Imp and Miss Nellie
> (Earl of Essex X Persona) bloomed this summer and gave 3 pods, with
DD05-20bRE = S(mell the Rose x What Again), Lake Reprise and Claire
Doodle.

> They seem to mix well with tetraploides.
> They don't look diploide at all. Neither the flower nor the plant.
>
> PERSONA
>
> (Keith Keppel, R. 2004) Sdlg. 99-3A. MTB, 18" (46 cm), M
> S. mauve-toned taupe (M&P 5-H-7 aging 5-D-8); style arms same,
flushed lavender; F. white ground sharply veined mulberry (45-K-10),
lower part flushed heather (42-H-8), narrow edge matching S.; beards
light chrome yellow (10-L-4) at end, spanish yellow (10-L-7) in
throat. SIGNA seed, Astrachanica Kalmikij (open pollinated) X Bangles.
Keppel 2005

> i assumed Astrachanica Kalmikij and Bangles were diploids, but,
according to my experience, they don't seem to be.