Re: REB: Frequent Flyer seedlings

  • Subject: Re: REB: Frequent Flyer seedlings
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 05:58:32 -0400

Same here - Only took a few attempts before I gave up trying crosses the
other way. I really do think the health/vigor comes more from the pod
parent, but haven't done any crosses to prove it.

I've also learned that ability to put on new roots really fast is a big
key to strength here. I give all the newly potted up cultivars the
'wiggle' test a week after planting. If they are solid, they usually do
well here & have potential to be really good pollen donors. If the
whole thing is still loose, may as well forget it, regardless of what
top growth is doing.

<I almost never get vigor from a cross if the pod parent
isn't a bully grower. Am taking notes also of ones that
stay healthy and growing all summer and look like they
could make stalks again in fall. The challenge now will be
trying to get them to put on a pretty face.>

Thanks, Mary Lou. I expect there to be all kinds of errors, but never
expected such an odd kind of thing - momentarily freaked me out,
thinking we might have dropped part of an entry and glitched it together
with the one following, which could mean there might be a lot more like
that!! So it was a great relief to see it was just carried over from
the 98 data, nothing we did. Be sure to let Robin know if you find more

<Linda - I have nothing but gratitude and admiration for you
guys for putting the rebloom checklist together. There
are bound to be things wrong in a project of such scope.
I've been finding it very handy!>
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8