From: Donald Eaves <donald@eastland.net>
To: iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 1:34 pm
Subject: [iris-photos] OT: dead toad

The toads have been such an integral part of my gardening experience here
the last several seasons, it took at least three days for me to realize this
one would no longer be an active participant. Sitting on a flat stone
located by the downspout of the roof's gutter system, he was in a familiar
hangout and seemed poised to grab a snack at the first opporunity. As the
white achimenes bloom situated in front lost it's color and turned brown, I
noticed yesterday this fellow was also losing his heft. I asked if the
cooler nights were inhibiting his meals and then realized that for this one
there were to be no further meals. I realize death is a natural part of
being alive, albeit the last part. My observation is that it's usually a
messier affair than this case. More like an unfortunate meeting with a tire
wheel or the smell of erwinia in an iris clump. I'd wondered initially if
he'd been the victim of a copperhead or small rattlesnake, but I think the
serene stance indicates a natural end. There's a lot of dignity in the last
pose here. Should I go while out in the garden, I don't see myself
maintaining that much dignity. I envision being head down and rump up in
the iris beds when my protesting back has finally had enough and really does
kill me once and forever.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA