Re: BC seedling

  • Subject: Re: BC seedling
  • From: "donald" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 00:48:30 -0000

Welcome to the list, Anja,

The broken color irises aren't fond of the hot, dry weather here in
Texas either. TIGER HONEY does well, but HYENASICLE and
BEWILDERBEAST are stronger. The others that I've tried haven't been
successful. Visitors always love BEWILDERBEAST, but HYENASICLE is my
favorite of the three due to its reliable bloom and nice clump
habits. I believe it's one from Mrs. Kasperek rather than Mr.
Kasperek. Your seedlings may adjust to your conditions where the
parents don't.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "Anja Pansin/Wolfgang Zirkel"
<zirpan@...> wrote:
> Hi Linda,
> thank you. I love the Broken Colour irises but unfortunately they
do not like our wet springs here in Germany. They are always the
first irises to rot in my garden. Tiger honey is the only exception,
it grows very well for me and it is very fertile. This year I have
three seed pods from it with about 120 seeds. I will plant these
seeds in the next few days.
> I made a big mistake - I did not record my crosses. Sometimes I can
tell the pod parent but not the pollen parent (but often the pollen
parent should be Epicenter as it is my favourite iris). From the
postings in this list I learned how important it is to record the
parentage and I will do that carefully next year.