Re: HYB: help - I. pallida crosses

  • Subject: Re: HYB: help - I. pallida crosses
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 05:25:09 -0700 (PDT)

Linda Mann wrote:
Perhaps there is some potential to add more inclination to make bloomstalks by adding some fresh pallida genes to the pool. Ideal cross would be pallida X IMM, but since I never get pollen on IMM, that approach is out. But will try to remember to daub some pollen from some of her kids on the most floriferous of the pallida kids this spring.
Linda, if pallida X IMMORTALITY isn't an option, you might want to still consider trying pallida pollen on IMMORTALITY. I'd previously been convinced from extensive reading, that mixed ploidy crosses would best be done with diploid as pod parent and tetraploid as pollen parent. But recent conversations with Harald Mathes [and also some personal observations from numerous attempted mixed ploidy crosses], have made me open my mind to the idea that the reverse cross might be a more productive way to go. I agree with the other guys that it would probably take a lot of work to get polished offspring after incorporating pallida, but most things worthwhile take some effort.
Best of luck to ya, whatever road you decide to take!