Re: Belamcanda chinensis

  • Subject: Re: Belamcanda chinensis
  • From: cseggen1@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:03:10 EDT

I had trouble keeping this alive in Nebraska but it grew wild where I lived in MO.  I wondered why it was on the Iris site.  I did a google search and discovered it is from that family.

Belamcanda chinensis or Blackberry Lily derives its name from the clusters of shiny black seeds exposed when seed capsules split open. Even though it is called a lily it is actually in the Iris family. Fan-shaped leaves will reach 2 to 3 feet. They are hardy from zones 5 -10 in the U.S. Blackberry Lilies are native to China and Japan.

Connie Eggen
Zone 5
Papillion, NE