Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Fw: opened 10-2010
  • Subject: Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Fw: opened 10-2010
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 17:09:56 -0400

Betty  --  Glad your gardens in that area are doing well.  The mid-Atlantic region has almost no rebloom.  We (Chesapeake and Potomac Iris Society) just managed a valid reblooming show today, but not by much.  Members were wondering how the rest of the country is doing.  Our main problem here has been two droughts this past summer separated by only a little rain.  My only rebloomers so far have been 'Over and Over' and some seedlings from 'Again and Again', just during the past week.  There was no summer rebloom or repeat bloom.  My rebloomers, for the most part, rebloom late (October into December), so they're always playing hide and seek with Jack Frost.
We were also recalling, at the meeting, the dire predictions of storms issued by the National Weather Service this year, such as this story, below, from the Christian Science Monitor of August 5.  From here to the Blue Ridge mountains, we only got one or two hard rains all summer.   --  Griff

By Pete Spotts, Staff writer / August 5, 2010

The 2010 hurricane season in the Atlantic, now heading into its most active three month stretch, stands a strong chance of becoming the 11th above-normal season in the past 15 years, according to federal forecasters.

June and July were less active than the National Weather Service's Climate Prediction Center expected them to be when it issued its initial seasonal forecast in May, notes Gerry Bell, who heads the effort.

But conditions in the Atlantic's main hurricane-forming region are ripe enough to suggest the season's typical August-to-October peak will be very active. The CPC says there is a 70 percent chance that the season will log 14 to 20 named storms, eight to 10 hurricanes, and four to six major hurricanes -- storms of Category 3 or higher, with top sustained winds in excess of 111 miles an hour.

Skip to next paragraph