Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Fw: opened 10-2010
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Fw: opened 10-2010
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <Autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 20:30:25 -0400 (EDT)

Griff, I should only speak for me.  I've been busy with the planting and haven't visted any other gardens.  Not even the one down at the school.

<<Glad your gardens in that area are doing well. >>
It's possible that my report isn't quite fair, either.  I grouped a bunch of irises capable of summer bloom in a new bed last fall.  Finished it just before going into the hospital.  Several of these have three clumps each, like 'Again & Again' and 'Star Gate.'  We've not had any rain since Aug 18.  (4 inches)  A couple of sprinkes in the past two month with less than 1/4 inch of rain each.  I've watered.  Rain due Sunday night.  Hope it's a good soaking so I don't have to water again.

Rebloom has fallen into two categories.  Either they were in this bed or in one of two seedlings beds which were also watered, but not as well.

I've had exceptional bloom on three sets of seedlings out of a 'Star Gate' seedling.  Four to 8 stalks each.  The purple amoena I posted several days ago is one of these.

Total Recall X 1625-01Re (Star Gate seedling) gave two seedings that are reblooming well.  Both bloomed short but have started getting taller in this later part of the summer/fall.  Good rebloom with multiple stalks.  The lavender one, 2025-02Re, had two stalks in July and now has four more in various stages.  This one just shocked me with a relatively tall and well branched stalk.

The white & yellow one has kept me company all fall while I work on the new set of beds.  Fours stalks at varying stages of development.  Last one is taller and more balanced.

I'm already several days past the average frost date, but ONE weather report here has predicted a very warm winter so maybe the frost will hold off until the whole bed is in bloom . . . stalks on Platinum, Echo Location, Star Gate, Just Call Me, Again & Again with bloom almost finished on another Just Call Me, Lunar Whitewash, Returning Chameleon & Over and Over.  Nine stalks total on Over and Over.

I finished the third and last bed of this new group, today. Last bed till spring I guess unless I transplant some little pots into a seedling bed.

When I get tired I just go over to the "summer" bed and stare for awhile!

It's been an interesting year.

Betty W.
Ky Zone 6