Re: REB: current bloom in the "vale" (was opened 10-2010)
  • Subject: Re: REB: current bloom in the "vale" (was opened 10-2010)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 17:53:34 -0500

Certainly worst rebloom season I can remember, and not just here in "the
vale" - the rest of our local club reports the same. Too hot & dry too

<Members were wondering how the rest of the country is doing. Griff>

There's a lot of frost damage showing amongst the most rapidly growing
leaves of some of the more sensitive seedlings already, & we are past
our average first killing frost date (whatever that means anymore). I'm
not expecting a lot of bloom, but keep hoping. At least the weather has
finally shifted to more humidity - chances of rain sometime in the next
few are pretty good. But could get a really hard freeze any time. So
far, just enough to scorch the edges of tomato plants, not kill them.

IMM has been showing off again with no watering - 4 stalks in Aug, two
more now, a bloom open today. BABY BLESSED opened today, a few blooms
to go on OXMOOR HILLS, not open yet - Betty's STARGATE has a stalk, one
on SUGAR BLUES that I think is dying without opening (frost probably).
One on either TEA LEAVES or one of my seedlings - grown together :-(

IMM X VIOLET CLASSIC just barely open. Lovely older seedling that
struggles here, but when it has enough growth, is reliable rebloomer.
It got watered several times this fall. OVER AND OVER in the
foreground, MARIPOSA AUTUMN right next to it just barely starting stalks
(no water), two seedlings from RENOWN X HARVEST OF MEMORIES open in the
background, several more from the cross with stalks. Closeup is of the
one of those with fewer stalks. Note the help taking care of the
cucumber beetles this year. ;-) Seedlings have all gotten a small
amount of supplemental water - apparently enough to make stalks, but
blooms are tiny.

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7

JPEG image

JPEG image