Re: HYB: Blooming today, also
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Blooming today, also
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 18:29:33 -0400

Betty  --  Over the years, as we have posted messages, I've noticed that you seem to have earlier bloom than I do, but also earlier freeze.  It has interested me, because you're located 175 miles south of me.  It must be the difference in elevation that mostly accounts for it.  Part of it, too, could be my proximity to the tidal Potomac (a few hundred yards), with the water arguably holding heat later into the fall and holding the cold later into the spring.  As you may have noticed, some of my rebloomers successfully play tag with Jack Frost and come up blooming in December.
That being said, the law of averages will surely catch up one of these days, and you'll find yourself, with Goldilocks, saying of a reblooming seedling, "Just right!"  --  Griff

Sent: Friday, October 29, 2010 4:52 PM
Subject: Re: [iris-photos] HYB: Blooming today, also

Guess that's not the correct term.  I need things that rebloom earlier in the fall, summer even.  But I don't know if I'm allowed to call them summer bloomers.
Basically, I mean things that will rebloom early enough to miss the first freeze here in my zone 6 garden.  My average first freeze is Oct 15.  I need irises that start fall blooming approximately Sept 1 thru Oct 1 in order to enjoy fall bloom.  So far, I'm two weeks past the average date this year, with a light, unannounced frost today.
<<by "cold hardy rebloom", Betty. >>
What can I call it?

So many of the things that rebloom in zones 7 and above will not rebloom for me.  On very rare occasions I'll get a random stalk, maybe once in a lifetime.  I still talk about the fall bloom on 'My Valentine.'  Pity it won't even grow here.  I've little need for stalks that show up in late October just before a hard freeze.  They only bring frustration.
2025-01Re--5 stalks.  Started blooming early Sept. just finishing now.  More yellow on the shoulders than shows in this photo.
2025-02Re- Seven off season stalks.  1 in July and 6 in Oct.
These two siblings rebloom well.  But they don't always have nice tall stalks, and they're both default colors.  Not much demand for either.  I've a couple of others that are half siblings (to these) and also bloom early, but neither are really finished products.
If I get early rebloom, good height and branching the bloom usually suffers and if I get good blooms something else suffers.  Sigh!