HYB: Californicae and Spuria ploidy levels?
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: HYB: Californicae and Spuria ploidy levels?
  • From: "Paul" <arilarcher@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 22:09:51 -0000

I was wondering what the chromosome counts and ploidy levels are for Pacific Coast and Spuria Iris?

I see references to tetraploid Calsibes but can find no listing or references for tetraploid Californicae/Pacific Coast hybrids. So my guess would be that the tetraploid Calsibe hybrids that have been achieved/Registered so far are derived from unreduced gametes of diploid Californicae?

I also find vague references to very wide ploidy differences amoung the Spurias, but no real concrete account of what is what. Is there a strategy in breeding the Spurias while keeping the ploidies in mind? Maybe some sort of list of ploidy levels or chromosome counts to refer to when attempting to breed amoung them? Or is it all simply just trial and error?

Paul Archer
Indianapolis, IN Zone 5