HYB: yellow amoena - how?
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: HYB: yellow amoena - how?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 14:29:09 -0400

After reading the hybridizing notes from Barry Blyth in the latest Tempo
Two catalog <http://www.tempotwo.com.au/Tempo_Two/Welcome.html>

about his quest for the perfect pink amoena, I was reminded of my
wondering about this seedling & where the yellow amoena pattern came
from. Yellow amoenas keep turning up here in the IMM X CELEBRATION SONG
descendants. Most have been really horrid, but I've wondered about the
pattern showing up as often as it does.

I hope I haven't asked this before, but I always thought pink (or
yellow) amoena pattern isn't dominant or there'd be lots more of them
around & BB would have achieved his goal many generations ago.

KIWI CHEESECAKE is a yellow amoena & the cross of IMM X KIWI CHEESECAKE
produced at least two yellow amoenas, the rest unmemorable/discarded. &
Bruce Filardi has yellow or pink amoena seedlings from KC.

So - anybody know if the yellow (or pink) amoena pattern is supposed to
be recessive? I'm guessing not.... just maybe hard to get rid of the
other pigments and simultaneously improve form/vigor.

photo labeled immxkcmaybe is IMM X KIWI CHEESECAKE
"canary" is yellow self: (IMM x TREASURED)

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7
light frost last night, a few fall cycle stalks forming down in the fans.

JPEG image

JPEG image