Re: HYB: REB: Little T
  • Subject: Re: HYB: REB: Little T
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 10:34:24 -0400

Thanks Annette & Mary Lou.

This is an older seedling, but this is the first fall in several where
there's been enough summer rain & relatively cool temperatures to give
rebloomers a chance to show. It is from one of the last years where I
tried to scatter newly planted babies out in 'gaps' in the existing rows
- bad idea!! 2006 pod, lined out spring 2007.

The cross produced <very> aggressive growers, mostly a lot of foliage,
few stalks. But one of them did try to rebloom one fall, in spite of
dry summer and terrible crowding. I separated and moved them (best as I
could figure out which was which) a few years ago - probably 2010? This
is the best of the cross - good stalk to fan ratio, great form and
substance, and it looks like it turned out to be the rebloomer!

Downsides - it has a low bud count & seems to have inherited mom's
erratic transplant behavior :-( Pieces I put in a pot mostly died, as
did the piece I sent to Betty. Not very pod fertile and so far, no
spring pollen. A few babies from it X POP IDOL. (one of those 'have
pollen from this gorgeous weak thing, what to put it on' crosses)

No, not collecting pollen - I guess I could try again, but after several
years of failed attempts with frozen pollen, I'm not very motivated :-(

Rebloom stalk on another older seedling - this one from DOCTOR ALAN X
RENOWN, 2005 pod. Nothing from this cross has rebloomed before &
wouldn't you know, this is the only one from the cross I've not tried to
do anything with. It's pretty much identical to a sib that I have used.

Found another maiden stalk this morning - OXMOOR HILLS X GATE OF HEAVEN.
(2011 pod)

HoM finally starting here! slow this year.