Re: HYB: REB: "fluffy"
  • Subject: Re: HYB: REB: "fluffy"
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 12:15:07 -0400

Hi Char. I'm about to go for my "morning" walk (nearly noon
already??!!) and was planning on giving some thought to that very
subject. But will procrastinate a few minutes more and share a few things.

Until last year, even tho I have been using the super healthy overnight
hot weather/"summer" stalk forming parents, I've been focusing mostly on
getting form upgraded, expanding color/pattern range of what will thrive

Last year was the first to really focus on mostly rebloom crosses. Used
'fluffy' in one cross with 'gold', which is TEA LEAVES X GOLDEN PANTHER.
'fluffy' is IMM X orange: (GOLDEN APPLE x CRYSTAL GLITTERS).

I will be trying to juggle three or four traits simultaneously with this
one - improve substance, improve hot weather stalk forming ability,
widen form, while (if possible) avoiding the 'standard' color rebloomers
that already thrive here (white, yellow, purple (various shades), purple
amoena, purple neglecta, purple plicata), while not losing overall
health and enthusiasm for my growing conditions.

I have a lot of non-rebloomers with some rebloom background that have
decent form and substance, but as far as I can guess (need to think some
more about this), none has the ability to start stalks in hot weather.
However, something might show up in the 2011 crosses that will work
(several look possible).

"fluffy" has one orange parent, & I will keep that in mind while
pondering what to do with it. Plus it looks like it's a pale variegata,
so that might turn out to be worth working - darken the color with

The priority will be 1) health here (easy to get now - tons of different
seedling lines to choose from), but 'fluffy's pod parent is very prone
to leaf spot and not a strong grower, 2) width/substance (quite a few),
3) summer rebloom potential (hardly anything, nothing so far with (2)
that's both a reliable bloomer and fertile), 4) color/pattern.

Unfortunately, so far, 'fluffy' doesn't make good anthers so have only
used it as pod parent. Pastel seedlings, mostly poor health and no
rebloom. Since pod seems to have more influence on rebloom/plant growth
fairly late cycle, not really helpful for where I'm heading, but IMM
does summer bloom, so some of the genes are there. I'm going to pot
some of it to bring indoors, see if that will help give spring pollen.

;-) Thanks for helping me think. Need to put these thoughts in next
year's notebook so I don't forget.

> ...would you share what your next step is with this Iris? More substance
> or more intense color or?
> Char

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7b